Wednesday, May 1, 2013

There's thrill in making things on your own

Today, several items I ordered from ebay 3 weeks ago just arrived. I will use most of them on the projects that I am trying to develop. The first project that I have in mind is to develop my own portable charger with battery bank. Portable chargers can easily be bought from CDR King and a bunch of other stores in SM's Cyber Zone. But I prefer to create my own version.

These are the components that I will use for the project:
1.
2.
3. 4 pcs of lithium ion batteries(26650 6000mAh 3.2V)
4. An isolation diode
5. A plastic enclosure
6. Battery holder

Today, I already have items 1 and 2, I am still waiting for the arrival of item 3, I can easily find items 4, 5 and 6 in local electronic stores in Raon.

What makes my portable charger different is that I will be connecting the 2 li-ion batteries in parallel and will be boosted its rated 3.2V to 5V which is a typical usb voltage output.

The overall specification of my portable charger is as follows:
1. 24000mAh
2. 5V 500mA output - full size USB
3. 5V 1A input - mini USB
4. Battery Charge LED indicator

Normally, a 24000mAh portable charger will cost 4000 pesos if made in China, more than 8000 pesos if made elsewhere and not bought from CDR King.  My project has a budget of 1000 pesos plus other expenses in sourcing the components and of course my labor fee.

I plan to use the same enclosure I purchased earlier for my step-down dc-dc converter, and together with the components, this is how the finished product is going to look like:



The problem with the enclosure is it will hide the led charge indicator which is fully integrated in the mini usb charger module, so I will try to look for a transparent plastic version if available.

No comments:

Post a Comment